I. PROTECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
DMA’s website, www.digitalmediaacademy.org, is directed to parents and guardians of our participants. In keeping with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) – the law that protects children’s online privacy – and the guidelines of the Children’s Advertising Review Unit of the Council of Better Business Bureaus, Digital Media Academy (DMA) limits the collection of personal information from kids.
We screen users who wish to provide personal information in order to prevent users under the age of thirteen from providing such information.
If we become aware that we have inadvertently received personally identifying information from a user under the age of thirteen, we will delete such information from our records.
1.2 Internet Protection
DMA makes every reasonable effort to prevent participants from being exposed to inappropriate web content. DMA installs Internet filtering software on DMA computers. No software is 100% perfect, and some inappropriate content may inadvertently be accessed. DMA takes reasonable precautions to guard against inappropriate material from being viewed. If inappropriate content is viewed, the instructor will follow standard protocol. Participants found in violation of our “common sense” Internet policy may be removed from camp without receiving a refund.
DMA does not share email addresses or any other personal information with third parties interested in contacting you or collecting information about you. We do not sell, rent, give or trade personal information we collect from online, phone or paper registrations and or catalog requests.
1.3 How we store your information
We store your personal information in secure operating environments that are not available to the public. Your personal information is accessible only by you and select company employees. Employees are bound by duties of confidentiality and have access to select databases, which are further protected by DMA and password requirements.
To update or change your account information, log in to My DMA, call our Guest Services department at 1.866.656.3342, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
My DMA, Your Account Login & Password: You are responsible for keeping your password confidential. You agree that you are responsible for any and all communication, transactions and use of services associated with and made using your password. This includes any fees, charges or other obligations that may result from such use. You are responsible for changing your password if you believe your password has been stolen or otherwise compromised. You may not loan, or assign your password or transfer rights under this agreement without prior written consent. Any attempted password assignment or transfer without such consent will be void.
1.4 How we use your information
DMA provides for user guided registration process in order to expedite your transactions on our site (through the use of pre-filled forms) and to provide you with better service.
In order for you to complete your online registration or conduct other transactions on our site, we will require the creation of a DMA User account, My DMA, which requires that you submit certain personal information to DMA.
We may share pertinent personal information with our relevant employees or university relationships for the limited purpose of enabling them to fulfill your requests (e.g. Camp Directors, Instructors and University Liaisons).
We may elect to contact you regarding the status of your transactions on our site or to inform you of maintenance to your account (My DMA) or website updates.
1.5 Other information we gather
When you request a catalog or register for a DMA program, we ask for certain basic information: name, mailing address, email address, and phone number.
1.6 Security of Credit Card Transactions and Information
If you choose to pay by credit card, you will do so through PayPal. For your security, your credit card number is not stored in our system. PayPal provides an extra level of security for your payments. Only the last four digits of your credit card are available to view by DMA. PayPal uses the industry’s most secure data encryption technologies and physically secure servers that aren’t connected directly to the Internet. We use state-of-the-art Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption technology to safeguard and protect your personal information and transactions over the Internet.
Your information, including your credit card information, is encrypted and cannot be read as it travels over the Internet.
II. Social Networking/Media/Communication
2.1 Social Networking and Communication on External Sites
DMA views social networking sites (e.g. YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc.), personal websites, and web logs (blogs) positively and respects the rights of our participants to use them as a medium for self-expression. DMA provides several opportunities for social networking for both participants and staff on such sites. You agree that by registering for a DMA program, your participant(s) may access and upload content to Social Networking sites. These sites are not affiliated with DMA and offer their own individual social networking services. It is important to note:
- DMA does not allow the use of its company logo or those of its corporate partners or community partners on any personal website, social networking group, or blog without written permission by DMA or its corporate or community partners.
2.2 Social Networking and Communication on Internal Sites
Please read the following terms and conditions carefully, as well as the Terms and Conditions of the sites in which DMA has created a forum. These Terms and Conditions are a legal agreement between you and DMA and apply to you whether you are a visitor to these sites or any site with an official DMA affiliation. DMA is a member of several pre-existing sites (as mentioned above). There are, however, portions of www.digitalmediacademy.org that include areas where participants can post submissions. DMA reserves the right to take action to remove any content deemed inappropriate by the sites or by DMA standards. DMA will not be held liable for any loss of content or disagreements that may arise between the individual social networking site and the user. In order to access certain features of the social networking sites or to pages on www.digitalmediaacademy.org, and to post Member Submissions, the majority of these sites require that the user open an account with them. Please note that these sites have their own individual terms and conditions that must be followed. Age requirements are outlined within each Site’s Terms and Conditions. You hereby authorize your participant to access social networking sites while at camp and create an account if they choose to do so and if they meet the requirements listed by each site to create an account. Interaction with other users:
- DMA is merely providing a medium in which to socialize online with fellow participants. Users are solely responsible for interactions (including any disputes) with other Members and any volunteers that may advise and assist participants with projects and activities via your use of the Site and Services.
- You agree that DMA does not in any way screen Members or review or police: (i) statements made by Members in their Member Submissions or the Member Submissions in general; or (ii) statements made by Users or any information a User may provide via the Site or Services.
- You agree that your participant(s) are solely responsible for, and will exercise caution, discretion, common sense and judgment in using the various Sites and Services and disclosing personal information to other Members or Users. On behalf of your participant(s), you agree that they will take reasonable precautions in all interactions with other Members, particularly if they decide to meet a Member offline or in person.
- Your participant’s use of the social networking sites with which DMA is affiliated, their services, and content and member submissions is at your sole risk and discretion and DMA hereby disclaims any and all liability to you or any third party relating thereto.
- On behalf of your participant(s), you agree that they will not harass, threaten, intimidate, bully, stalk, or invade the privacy of any individual in connection with your use of the social networking sites with which DMA is affiliated and their services, whether or not an individual is an DMA Member; and you further agree not to advocate such activities or to encourage others to engage in any such activities.
III. STAFF BACKGROUND CHECKS
DMA requires criminal background checks for all staff (operational, instructional, and corporate) who will be onsite for any duration of time other than check-in and parent open house.
IV. Staff/Student Communication
Under no circumstances are staff members permitted to give personal contact information to students for social networking sites, personal websites or email/instant messaging. The DMA corporate office must coordinate any and all communication between participants and their instructors outside of the program. Should you have any questions regarding this policy, please email email@example.com.
- For the safety of our campers and to protect the privacy of our summer staff, DMA has implemented a policy to govern interactions outside of camp. Staff may communicate publicly via the DMA Facebook Group. However, staff is not permitted to communicate privately with, give out personal contact info to, or become social media friends with participants under the age of 18.
- Participants may not give their personal contact information to a staff member. To correspond with instructors after the session has ended, the participant’s parent must contact the Human Resources Department at the main office (866-656-3342) to grant permission for the participant to contact the staff member. The Human Resources Department will then contact the staff member on behalf of the participant. Students and staff in the overnight program may use the GroupMe app to communicate information about the course during sessions. This app should not be used after the end of the camp session.
- On behalf of your participant(s), you agree they will not give their social networking information to a DMA staff member.
V. Copyright & Intellectual Property
You agree that you and your participant will not use the social networking sites to offer, display, distribute, transmit, route, provide connections to or store any material that infringes copyrighted works, trademarks or service marks or otherwise violates or promotes the violation of the intellectual property rights of any third party. DMA has adopted and implemented a policy that provides for the termination in appropriate circumstances of the accounts of users who repeatedly infringe or are believed to be repeatedly infringing the intellectual property or proprietary rights of others.
DISCLAIMER: BY USING THE SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES OR SUBMITTING A MEMBER SUBMISSION YOU AGREE THAT DMA IS NOT RESPONSIBLE, AND WILL IN NO EVENT BE HELD LIABLE, FOR ANY: (A) LOST, ILLEGIBLE, MISDIRECTED, DAMAGED OR INCOMPLETE MEMBER SUBMISSIONS; (B) COMPUTER OR NETWORK MALFUNCTION OR ERROR; (C) COMMUNICATION DISRUPTION OR OTHER DISRUPTIONS RELATED TO INTERNET TRAFFIC, A VIRUS, BUG, OR WORM OR NON-AUTHORIZED INTERVENTION; OR (D) DAMAGE CAUSED BY A COMPUTER VIRUS OR OTHERWISE FROM YOUR ACCESS TO THE SITE OR SERVICES. THE SITE, SERVICES, DMACONTENT AND MEMBER SUBMISSIONS ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” WITH NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. DMA, AND ITS SUPPLIERS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, REGARDING THE SITE, SERVICES, DMA. CONTENT AND MEMBER SUBMISSIONS, WHETHER THE PROVISION OF SERVICES OR YOUR SUBMISSION OF A MEMBER SUBMISSION WILL PRODUCE ANY LEVEL OF PROFIT OR BUSINESS FOR YOU OR LEAD TO ECONOMIC BENEFIT, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF QUALITY, AVAILABILITY, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. IN ADDITION, DMA MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY THAT THE SITE OR SERVICES WILL BE ERROR FREE OR THAT ANY ERRORS WILL BE CORRECTED. SOME STATES OR JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES. ACCORDINGLY, SOME OF THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
VI. Photo and Media Release
You agree that all images, testimonials, survey responses, photos, video and audio taken at or in connection with DMA are the sole and exclusive property of DMA.
- As a condition of enrollment, you must agree and authorize that photos may be taken of your student. You also agree that said content may be used by DMA in camp promotional and marketing materials and online media.
- You agree, testimonials, survey responses, photos, videos and audio may be shared and used by corporate partners, the media, or other organizations that work with DMA.
- You agree that DMA, its owners, agents, partners, facility providers, and employees are not held liable for damages and injuries associated with DMA publishing, including any and all claims based on negligence.
- You agree that DMA in camp promotional materials and other print and online media may use all projects and work created while at DMA for camp purposes. These projects may be shared and used by corporate partners, the media, or other organizations that work with DMA. You agree that DMA and/or any of the participant(s) in the group that created the movie may submit any digital movie created during the DMA course to a film festival.